Saturday, May 21, 2011

End of the world

Harold Camping was the preacher who thought the rapture would happen today.

To justify this theory, he came up with a rather arbitrary mathematical formula:

Christ was crucified on April 1, 33 A.D., exactly 722,500 days before May 21, 2011. That number, 722,500, is the square of 5 x 10 x 17. In Camping's numerological system, 5 represents atonement, 10 means completeness, and seventeen means heaven. "Five times 10 times 17 is telling you a story," Camping said on his Oakland-based talk show, Family Radio, last year. "It's the story from the time Christ made payment for your sins until you're completely saved. I tell ya, I just about fell off my chair when I realized that." [End of the World: Top Doomsday Fears]

Harold's approach is disappointing because it seems to take advantage of his followers' (i.e., Americans') poor grasp on math and their frequent view that math formulas are arbitrary when, in fact, they're not. At the same time, his station notes in his biography that he has a degree in civil engineering from UC Berkeley. Presumably he is taking advantage of his position as an "expert" to push his agenda by obfuscating it with math.

Camping's approach seems a disgrace to the program, as the undergrad program at UC-Berkeley is ranked second in undergrad civil engineering (UIUC is first).

What else has Harold applied his crazy math to? From the same biography:
Harold Camping earned his living from his own construction business, which he began shortly after the end of World War II.

I'd actually be curious about projects Harold's business has worked on. What was the quality of their services? Were the buildings up to industry standards? The only thing I found on the Web about "Camping Construction Company" was a lawsuit about unions.Link
I should have posted this sooner to make it evident how kooky I thought Harold Camp was before 6pm in the U.S.. In any case, I think my point is clear.

No comments: